A server is a computer or computer program that manages access to a centralized resource or service in a network. Other computers and electronic devices such as a printer are linked together through a server. A computer connected to the server is called a client.
What are the top 5 benefits of a server?
1. Better data and resource management through centralized storage
Resources are stored on the server and are readily available to all clients. Instead of clients redundantly modifying and saving information, a single version is stored on the server. This makes collaboration between people a whole lot easier and faster. You can instantly share files, calendars and other vital information.
2. Greater control of your data, users, IT systems and security
- Manage multiple users and limit their access by assigning usernames and passwords.
- Better manage security features and monitor threats to your computer systems.
- Central management of antivirus/anti spam
- Central management of backups and backup of data
The overall productivity of your company will definitely increase due to better processes and more efficient systems. You can have instant access to information when you need it for decision making or for providing better customer service.
4. Greater flexibility and scalability
- You could easily add new equipments as your business grows without major alterations to the server.
- Each computer -- client or server -- can be replaced when needed while the server remains unchanged.
Since everything is managed in a central location, installing updates and upgrading the system becomes quicker and easier.
About the Author: